Built sometime before 1789, King’s Tavern is the oldest and most storied building in Natchez. Over the centuries, it has played host to travelers along the Natchez Trail, as well as more unsavory characters.
But it wasn’t until the 1930s, when the building’s owners were renovating, that they made a spooky discovery. In the building’s basement they found three mummified corpses, including a female believed to be the mistress of the tavern’s original owner.
Reportedly, the ghost of this woman is responsible for much paranormal mischief, including knocking jars off shelves, tracking mud on freshly mopped floors, and opening or closing doors at will.