Find It: 5624 North Newark Avenue
In 1871, the Great Chicago Fire destroyed much of the Windy City, but there is evidence of its earlier beginnings still sprinkled about. When the Noble-Seymour-Crippen House was constructed in 1833 for Mark Noble Sr., an English immigrant, it lay outside the city's limits.
After massive city growth enveloped the structure within its new confines, it became the oldest building in Chicago. Then, Thomas Hartley Seymour of the Chicago Board of Trade purchased it and added new wings to the original structure, making it the gorgeous structure it is today.